- Chicken tenderloins (free range, hormone free)
- 3 x bowls lined up (one with flour and some generous shakes of dried Italian herb mix; one with beaten eggs; and one with breadcrumbs and some fresh lemon zest);
- 1 x plate for raw/crumbed chicken;
- 1 x medium hot pan and a little sunflower (or vegetable) oil; and
- Another plate for the cooked chicken
- B was ushered into the bathroom for some pre-cooking hand washing;
- He then helped himself to a chair, pushing it into prime position at the stove top – providing the perfect opportunity to refresh our safety rules around the stove (not touching the dials or hotplates, and only holding the pan handle)
- Apron on, we talked about the steps involved, I demonstrated a little, and directed a little more… pretty quickly, I might add, as I couldn’t stop the momentum of my mini chef’s enthusiastic and flamboyant moves!
Chicken – flour – *spray* – egg – *splash* – breadcrumbs – *pat pat pat* – flour – “uh oh! here we go again..” – egg – breadcrumbs – “ok, so that lucky chick got a double coating… pop it down ready to cook in the pan and take another piece of chicken! go!!!”… He was on a roll and there was no stopping him!
And now for a couple of videos…
Jamie Oliver’s Dream School super quick and easy chicken nuggets:
Jamie Oliver shows school kids how chicken nuggets are made: (Please note: there is a language warning – at around 0:20 seconds, so you may wish to cue the starting point if you were thinking of showing your kids!)
Thanks for visiting Kids Play Space. I really hope you enjoyed this little post! And please feel free to leave a comment – I’d love to hear your thoughts and ideas on limiting kids’ fast food intake!
But wait… There’s more!!
Be sure to also check out these other posts from some of my wonderful Sustainable Living Blogger Community buddies discussing fast food for our kiddos and families, and healthier alternatives:
Finally, if it’s a healthy snack your are after, Kara at ALLterNATIVE learning has some Healthy Holiday Snacks – Dehydrated Fruit!