Sunday cook up: Banana blueberry pancakes
So, as I'm returning to (part time) work in a couple of weeks ("eeeeeeeeek!") and as Master B loves being involved in cooking so much, I have decided that we should have a regular weekend cook up for breaky/brunch. I'm going to record as close to the recipe we experiment with as possible.
The goals are:
- healthy (no salt, low/no added sugar other than fruit, low fat)
- a number of steps where the little one can become involved
Here's our latest effort - which was BRILLIANT (if I do say so myself)!!!
1. 1 cup wholemeal self raising flour (or plain flour plus a teaspoon of baking powder)
Tip into a large mixing bowl (through a sifter)
2. Some good generous shakes of cinnamon
3. In a separate bowl - (peel, break up, then) mash 2 large bananas, add 1/2 cup (125ml) milk, and 2 x eggs (You could crack the eggs separately and practise whisking if you had the time/inclination) - mix well
4. Make a well in the centre of the flour, add the bananas/milk - mix well
5. Throw in a cup of frozen blueberries - mix them in well.
6. Dollop onto a medium hot pan with a touch of olive oil - wait for the bubbles / firm top before flipping - and remember... if they don't look very pretty - that's when they can be called: "rustic"!
Healthier options: cut up fruit, yoghurt, "banana icecream" (that is: frozen banana!!), lemon juice, cinnamon...
Less healthy but really tasty options: icecream/ frozen yoghurt, maple syrup/ warm honey ...